[lbo-talk] Quebec separatism

tfast at yorku.ca tfast at yorku.ca
Sun Aug 21 15:11:44 PDT 2005

Montreal is a fairly diverse city with old Jewish, Irish, Greek and Italian communities and more recently home to different ethnic groups from across the the francaphonie. Yoshie, Quebec has control (constitutionally) of education and immigration. So to argue that the status of "diversity" in Montreal or Quebec for that matter is the the Feds fault is simply inaccurate. One of the reasons Quebec in general and Montreal more particularly has trouble keeping french speaking immigrants is because of the differential economic prospects new immigrants face when choosing between southern Quebec and southern Ontario. As for the report you cite: the BI&BI commission was always rejected by Quebec nationalists as a Federalist Trojan horse. And the Feds dismal track record on nurturing french speaking communities outside of Quebec is held to be vindication of the flawed logic underlying the BI&BI.

Travis