[lbo-talk] Quebec separatism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 21 21:42:09 PDT 2005

Travis wrote:

> Yoshie, Quebec has control (constitutionally) of education and
> immigration. So to argue that the status of "diversity" in
> Montreal or Quebec for that matter is the the Feds fault is simply
> inaccurate.

I don't mean education policy in Quebec. I mean education policy in Canada in general. Unless all Canadians are educated to become fully bilingual wherever they live and immigrants are also encouraged to become so, I think immigrants (most of whom either are English- speaking or speak neither English nor French) will choose English as their Canadian language of choice and gravitate toward English- speaking regions -- English, not French, is the global business fashion anyway. If I were to immigrate into Canada, I'd probably try Toronto, not Montreal or any other French-speaking city, as I can only read French and can't speak the language.

As for Quebec's control over immigration policy, what does it actually amount to? E.g., can Quebec accept immigrants who wouldn't be qualified to immigrate into the rest of Canada? Canada has a system called "Provincial Nomination," but Quebec isn't listed in the Provincial Nomination page: <http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/ provnom/index.html>.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>