[lbo-talk] Defining Conservatism Down

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Aug 22 07:48:10 PDT 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:23:44 -0400 "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org> writes:
> [...]

It's also shown by the fact that it was a Democratic president who was able to get such legislation passed as NAFTA, GATT, the abolition of AFDC and the like, not a Republican. As long as there is a Republican in the White House, social security will probably continue, more or less intact, despite the fact that Republicans would like very much to do away with it. If a Democrat is elected to the White House, then all bets are off concerning social security reform.

Big capital thus still needs parties like the Democrats in the US or New Labour in Great Britain to get portions of their neoliberal program enacted, precisely because the right cannot, on its own, mobilize popular support for such a program. Big capital needs the Democrats in the US or Labour in the UK to convince the general public that it's necessary to save the welfare state by destroying it.