[lbo-talk] Lanier v Merck: masterful lawyering

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 22 13:59:24 PDT 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

>Bingo. That may be the best example ever of my longtime view that
>the Age of Enlightenment hasn't improved all that enlightening and
>the technocratic society is ultimately ruled not by rationality but
>faith.

First, according to the OECD, American 15-year-olds rank 14th (out of 27) countries in tests of scientific knowledge. What you say might not apply as strongly to Korea, Japan, or Finland (numbers 1-3 respectively).

And second, what's the takeaway, as they say in the nonprofit world, from your argument? We should just give up on science and worship trees again?

Doug