[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on India: wrong? (was, U.N. seeks aid...)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 22 14:03:10 PDT 2005

ravi wrote:

>>The unnamed critics of "yield-enhancing techniques" would seem to
>>include Cockburn's guide and the likes of Vandana Shiva. But is
>>there any popular support for that reactionary kind of approach?
>>

>reactionary towards/against whom? monsanto?

No, reactionary in the sense of going backward in time, to an allegedly better moment.

And of course I'm no fan of Monsanto. I hate the way the choice is so often framed as Monsanto or Shiva's noble peasants. One of the interesting things about Cuba, which I'd like to learn more about, is how they combine a non-money-driven biotech with an ecological consciousness. Something like that's my model, but it rarely appears in the multiple choice tests.

Doug