[lbo-talk] AC on The Real Peace Ticket!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 23 06:03:53 PDT 2005

Paul and Sanders differ on the war in Iraq:

--In the midst of the invasion, the House passed House Concurrent Resolution 104, "Expressing the Support and Appreciation of the Nation for the President and the Members of the Armed Forces Who are Participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom." Sanders voted for it; Paul didn't.

--"'In my view, this war has been a disaster,' says Vermont Representative Bernie Sanders ... But, he adds, 'I think we can't just simply pull out and let that country go to chaos'" [TNR 20050524].

--"Rep. Ron Paul, a Texas Republican, called on Bush 'to order a phased and orderly withdrawal from Iraq'" [www.counterpunch.org/frank06152005.html].

As Cindy Sheehan has pointed out this week, there's a big difference between a demand for withdrawal (like Paul's) and acquiescence in the continuation of the war (like Sanders').

It was you, Doug, and not Cockburn, who proposed the across the board comparison of the two. Cockburn has consistently praised Paul for his anti-war stance and condemned Sanders as "that brass-lunged armchair bomber of Vermont" since the attack on Serbia, which again Sanders supported and Paul opposed.

You know Cockburn has no brief for wacko fundamentalism, Christian Reconstructionist theocracy, or retro-patriarchy. (But you'll admit that a political position that can unite you and Pugliese in consternation has a certain power.)

Regards, CGE