[lbo-talk] Quebec separatism

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:04:11 PDT 2005

Isn't it common that colonial countries speak archaic dialects. I remember an Iraqi friend of mine I was in undergraduate told me about his first day on campus at the International House. He had studied English intensively. The first person he met was from India who asked him a pertinent question: "Why don't you sally forth throughout your leage (I don't even know how to spell that one, so I'm giving my best phonetic spelling) and raise tumult and insurrection?" He went home and cried thinking that he had never learned English.

Didn't the Appalachian people speak a rather Shakespearean dialect until fairly recently? I remember hearing some linguist say something like that.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu