[lbo-talk] Re: Lanier v Merck: masterful lawyering

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 11:20:31 PDT 2005

Don't see any disagreement between you, Miles, on the old hand, Beian and me on the other. I said that that FDA process was too demanding and slow and that the testing regime should be more in line with European and Candadian standards; the object should be to screen out obvious frauds and failures, and for the rest, to allow a lot more drug availability a l;ot quicker, but require clear, large print, ordinary lamnguage warnings from both the drug companies and the health car providers, with severe liability for failure to warn and punitive damages for lies and coverups. Brian agreed, didn't you, B? as I took it, saying that ACT Up wanted people to be able to design their own treatment regimes with medical consultation and clear knowledge of potential risks. No one here is advocating abolsihing the FDA and returning to the days of snake oil and patent medicines.