[lbo-talk] GM rice - top of the crops

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 24 09:41:35 PDT 2005

Leigh Meyers wrote:

>It depends on what you mean by "more productive"
>Increases rice production for *whom*?
>WHO is the beneficiary of that increased production?
>Read the subject line of the follow post.
>
>Also: It's *disingenous* to speak on this topic as if the plants in
>question are simply
>hybrids, and the goal is to feed more people, they aren't, they are
>organisms previously
>non-existant in our biosphere, and the motive is profit... Right?

Well no shit. Small farmers are driven by the profit motive too.

More productive in the sense that the same cultivated acreage now feeds more people than it used to. India's pop is up 145% since 1960.

Were you competing for some kind of record for packing more leftist cliches into a tiny space?

Doug