[lbo-talk] Re: Russian Thinkers

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Wed Aug 24 16:40:29 PDT 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

> The former dissidents have taken interesting career arcs.

> Solzhenitsyn is a passionate anti-American, Zinoviev is a Communist,

> Medvedev is a passionate Putinist.

Speaking of which, as a result of getting painted - it took 6 weeks! - i was consumed with rage at those responsible for managing the apartment house i live in and to divert my emotions read the 3 Limonov autobiographical novels available in english at the columbia libe: It's Me - Eddie! (the only one i had read before, back in the early 80s), His Butler's Story and Memoir of A Russian Punk.

He's brilliant! The descriptions of my neighborhood in the late seventies (when he lived in a welfare hotel on Broadway in the 90s, probably the Narragansett <http://grutch.home.pipeline.com/narragansett.htm>) were weird but in essence totally accurate. And very funny.

Do the NatBol kids read these novels? How about his hilarious and quite touching account in It's Me - Eddie! of having great NYC outdoor sex with - in fact really making love with - a black homeless man?

The recent accounts of KPRF & Limonov getting together have to be a good sign. Do the eXile crew still hang out with him?

john mage