[lbo-talk] Buckets of urine

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 22:37:19 PDT 2005

The article below brought to mind Dwayne's point about the inevitable outcome of competing technologies -- which, as it turns out, doesn't always favor the most "advanced."

A Vietnam veteran offers an interesting and telling incident summing up his personal feelings about the war "I remember the moment when I knew we were going to lose the war in Vietnam. Frustrated by our inability to find the elusive Viet Cong, the United States had developed a top-secret program to locate enemy troop concentrations.

It was a "people sniffer," a device sensitive to the presence of ammonia in urine that could be hung from a helicopter flying low over the jungle. When a high reading was identified, artillery was directed at the area.

One evening in 1968 I was attending an end-of-the-day regimental briefing and an infantry captain was describing a sweep through the jungle.

He and his men had encountered something they could not explain: buckets of urine hanging from the trees. The regimental commander and his intelligence officer exchanged looks as they silently acknowledged that we were firing artillery (at $250 a round) at buckets of urine all over Vietnam."

[snip] for the rest, see http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/3379C496-BA09-4CDE-A93E-2B36DCF7F36E.htm

Joanna