[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Aug 25 07:24:19 PDT 2005

Cristobal: Comment :The only reason you are asking this question is because you haven't bothered to look for the abundant Cuban economy data and reports such as hose by numerous UN agencies and research centers and instead swallow whole those pro neo-lib articles Ulhas regularly posts in his ongoing campaign of vilification of Cuba. Of course there has been investment in agriculture. Forced to abandon chemical fertilizer based crops it switched to organic based agriculture through new land management and he introduction of urban crops.For this UN's FAO recently mentioned Cuba as a world example. As for industry, Cuba is also extremely well known for its very advanced bio-tech industry which in contrast to most of well VC funded US bio-tech, it does offers already a variety of vaccines and heart drugs to 35 different countries. It is important ,especially as an economist, not to be dazzled and confused by gizmo/ widget counting of the kind Ulhas does for India, and realize that Cuba has been pursuing a strategy of development via the service sector
:education, health services and tourism in addition to a vigorous fishing
industry. Cuba exports hundreds of medical doctors to Brazil,Venezuela and Africa and trains many foreign students in the field.Also her international centers for rehab medical programs and plastic surgery have a large international market, etc,

WS: This reminds me of an old Soviet era joke. An American and a Soviet diplomat met at the UN. The American asks: "I am looking for some statistics which I have difficulty finding. Could you tell me what is the actual per capita food consumption in the USSR?" The Russian (after a pause): "Yeah, and you have a 50% unemployment rate among Blacks."

The fact of the matter is that Cuban agriculture employs 25% (way above most developed countries, including ex-Soviet bloc ones), while contributing only about 6% of the GDP. This is not a good thing because it means that about a fourth of Cuban labor force contributes significantly less to the economy than the remaining three quarters - mainly those employed in the service sector. For a comparison, Chilean ag sector also contributes about 6% to the GDP, but employs only 14% of the country's labor force. In France, the figures are 3% and 4% respectively.

So there is a real problem here - finding productive employment for at least half of the 1.2 million Cuban ag workers. The problem goes well beyond the mere numbers, because the kind of skill required in modern industry (such as the bio-tech research that you mention) or in the modern service sector are not in abundance among agricultural workers. So I do not see how the posted article 'vilifies" Cuba, unless like in that old Soviet joke, revealing any economic problem amounts to "vilification."

Wojtek