[lbo-talk] Dem-leaning hedge fund managers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 25 09:48:56 PDT 2005

tfast at yorku.ca wrote:

>Anyone want to venture a theory as to why the hedge fund industry prefers dems
>over republicans. Has to have something to do with a preference for
>neoliberal
>internationalism over naked imperialism no?

I don't know if that's really a representative cross-section of hedge funds. Finance as a whole gives about 40-45% to Dems <http://opensecrets.org/industries/indus.asp?Ind=F>. But that's a lot, compared to energy (70% to Reps) or pharmaceuticals (67% to Reps).

It's a combination of things that make Wall Street somewhat more Dem than the rest of business. One is the prevalence of Jews, who remain overwhelmingly Democratic; another is a more urbanized, "cultured" view of the world, which doesn't harmonize with red state yahoo-ism; and there's also the neoliberal internationalism you mention. They may even realize that the stock market does better under Dems than Reps (though the bond market does better under Reps than Dems).

Doug