[lbo-talk] Israeli Punk

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 15:07:42 PDT 2005

I discovered today, while surfing through the National Bolshevik Party's English-language website, that the head of the party in Israel is also the leader of a punk group called Adolph. Talk about brave! Apparently there is also a group called the Dead Rabbis. Brian Atkinsky, any comments? Horrible translation of interview below:

INTERVIEW

25th May 2004 Punk-Fascism in Israel

Children Of The Anxious Times

Punks - this word means so much for a russian heart

The most reckles informal movement of the last decade - one could always pick them out in the crowd of other "hippie-rockers" by a bright irokez and a striking number of ear-rings in different places. Frightful customs were asociated with the punks, eating the products of one's own vital activity during the initiation ceremony was the best-known one. Punk-music of the 80-s was foreboding Apocalypse, and the songs' texts seemed to be an absolute nonsense. But whatever they were spoken about and whatever frightful rumours they were spread about, on the basis of nihilism russian punks, and first of all legendary "Grajdanskaya Oborona", managed to create their own world and culture, deserving if not respect, study at least. The new generation of irokez bearers even don't dream about it

In the new millennium the punk culture has noticeably given up its positions. The word punk is more and more associated with an unprincipled rabble, who's happiness is in drinking, smoking, doping

But today we'll meet, perhaps, the last of the punk Mohicans, the bearers of the unique underground life philosophy, which will soon become history. Besides we'll find out if they like living in the historic motherland, surrounded by the admirers of Shlomo Artsi and Sarid Hadad

So, russian-speaking punks in Israel. Who are they? Let's answer this simple question to Mick Lyarych, Jerusalem citizen of 19 years old, who, according to his words, was born to be punk.

- "Russian" punks are teens of 13-21 years old(an older punk is an uncommon thing in Israel), representing different society groups(it's nonsense that punks are usually from needy families). They might be devided in two groups: those who remain true to the tradition of russian classic punk and those who have joined the modern western current. There's nothing in common between these two groups, I should say. Moreover, being a representative of the "russian wave", I negate our western punks(WP).

- What do they represent?

- Stupidity, depravity, zombieness. WP direct their attention to the support and exaggeration of their appearance - their irokezes are cooler and they have more ear-rings. But if you think about it, you understand, that the essence of such a "punk" contradicts the original idea of our movement. What is punk? First of all it's an absolute freedom. A spiritual, moral, phisical freedom. But the WP(and most common people tend to consider them as "real" punks)are within certain limits, and they have created these limits themselves. They blindly follow fashion, worship useless traditions.

- What is the "rusian wave" notion of punk, your notion?

- It is philosophy, that implies another perception of life, a wish to avoid different stigmatic and prejudice traps. First of all "russian punk" manifests in the outlook. Letov reflects it in music, in literature - Harms, Sorokin, Mayakovski. Limonov - in politics. In other words that is everything beyond the standard limits of the outlook of an average person. By the way, as for irokezes, the people who created punk-rock and were the founders of punk movement(according to different versions, these were either "Sex Pistols" from England or "Ramones" from America)had no irokezes.

http://www.nbp-info.org/interview/punkisra.htm

Nu, zayats, pogodi!