[lbo-talk] It must be in here somewhere [found it!]

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:41:42 PDT 2005

Carl Remick:

>> From: "Leigh Meyers" <leighcmeyers at gmail.com>
>>
>> N.Y. Newsday:
>> Words of a false prophet
>> Ellis Henican
>>
>> It must be in here somewhere, but darned if I can find it - the
>> single, powerful Bible verse that would explain everything today. ...
>
> Actually there is very little that can't be justified if you ransack
> the Bible long enough -- the Good Book being famously a source of
> rationales for Beelzebub himself. One of my favorites is 1 Samuel
> 15: 2-3 - a real skull-and-crossbones warning to anyone getting in
> the way of a divinely Most Favored Nation: "Thus saith the LORD of
> hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait
> for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt. Now go and smite
> Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not;
> but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel
> and ass."
>
> All things considered, scripture-wise, Robertson was pretty mellow in
> his wrath and indignation the other day.
>
> Carl

Ah, the old testament... the book that some rabbinical sort of guy named Jesus got nailed to a tree over because he tried to modify or nullify some of it's more perverse teachings...

Who *would* Jesus "take out..."? When?... Why?

But most of all, would Jesus want a secular shmuck like Pat Robertson making that decision in his name?

I think not.

Btw: "Rabbinic literature has focused on Amalek as the archetypal enemy of the Israelites."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=0&oi=define&ei=C4YOQ7y1C43sYKzU8IcE&sig2=cFQ2h-8oJ2qbBwEi0TJRiA&q=http://www.bluethread.com/glossary.htm

The key word here is "archetypal". These books and stories are supposed to be guides, hints, and parables, not effin' instruction manuals for vicious and spiritually blank morons like Robertson.

Leigh