[lbo-talk] The struggle over science

Victor victor at kfar-hanassi.org.il
Thu Aug 25 23:03:00 PDT 2005

MJ and CB The negative effect of the mechanisation of production on intelligent practicality in general was recognized by A Smith, Ure, and other early classical political economists as well as by Marx (see Capital Part IV Chapter XIV sections 4,5 and Chapter XV sections 3 for starters). Though these writers focussed largely on the decline of need for exercise of intelligent labour on the part of the "mechanized" working class, we can put two and two together, and conclude that the decline of practically intelligent working classes is not compensated by an increase in practical intelligence on the part of the bourgeoisie. Business acumen, engineering skills, and even science practice are so much more functions of methods learned from others rather than of practical adaptation to actual confrontations with conditions in the field, that the incapacity of these professionals to cope with even some of the simplest of practical problems is proverbial. We could also add to this observation that the progressive commodification of all aspects of life engenders a consumer population that while capable of operating complex machinery (like this computer) is ever less able to produce even the simplest tools for its own survival. I'm reminded of the "survivalist" fad of the late 80's and early 90's which was quickly transformed into a buying spree for the most sophisticated outdoor gear, weaponry, and so on.

Then there's an apocryphal tale about an ethnologist in New Guinea: His field kit aroused much wonder and interest among the locals, prompting them to ask if he could show them how he made the artefactual array at his service. He went over everything he had, clothes, containers, cutting tools and so on and couldn't find a single item he could produce himself. Unfortunately I don't know how the normally self-sufficient tribesmen responded to this even greater wonder. Victor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 22:11 Subject: [lbo-talk] The struggle over science