[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 00:45:46 PDT 2005

Guest wrote:

>>A lifelong, mostly vegetarian diet of all-natural,
>>organic, pesticide free grains and green vegetables
>>stunted her growth to the point that her twelve year
>>old granddaughter stands a head taller than she.
>>Decades of wholesome physical labor, stooped over rows
>>of rice plants in the fields outlying our town bent
>>her spine so that she walks in a permanent crouch,
>>like a beetle. I've never seen her stand up straight.
>> I don't think she can anymore.

This is silly. I know plenty of vegeterians who are neither short nor stunted, who are quite healthy and long lived.

One day I was meeting someone in the men's faculty club at UC Berkeley for lunch. We got our signals crossed and I waited for 40 minutes while watching various senior faculty troop in. It was kind of scary. Each and everyone of them was bent to the shape of whatever chair they had been sitting in for the last forty years. They actually looked monstrous, and I remember wandering whether that was going to happen to me, since I was aiming for an academic career at that point. Anyway, you can get crippled just thinking -- it doesn't have to be strawberries. Have you any idea of the kinds of crippling that can happen in steel mills?

Anyway, like I said before. It's entirely possible to have good food and healthy bodies. You just spread the work around. Cause, bottom line is that this so called food that is produced by agribusiness is toxic, not very nutritious, and tastes like cardboard. Very advanced cardboard, to be sure.

Joanna