[lbo-talk] lbo, a den of right-wingers?

ravi lbo at kreise.org
Fri Aug 26 08:25:36 PDT 2005

mp wrote:

> I'm sorry, can't stop laughing.
> Have you ever perused a real right-wing list or board?

i dont think mp's response negates csenior's point. looking at a right-wing list/board only gives one view of right-wingers. and then of course there is the issue of what is right-wing and what is left-wing.

i do not agree that the majority on lbo-talk are right-wing -- it is trivially untrue since the majority on lbo-talk is (by my reckoning) just simply silent.

however, to respond to doug's response: indeed my life is quite different from yours. and often, the right-wingers (as per my definition) i encounter in my real life are quite easy to carry on a dialogue with (i even helped run the nj rkba mailing list for one of them). when i had a motorcycle accident (thanks to a democrat mayor who illegally turned her cadillac onto me) two of them helped transport me and the bike back home. [no, gary?, this is not an invitation for a wisecrack from you! ;-)]

recent material on this list has been interesting: the wonders of *western* liberal democracy. the shooting of an innocent person by the british police is an "accident". male feelings of impotence as a primary cause of the london bombing. alex cockburn's highlighting of the other side of the "indian [capitalist] miracle" is wrong. a while ago we had someone express his opinion [of distaste] on a man having sex with another man. someone else posted recently that a vegetarian diet stunts growth. etc. etc.

in my case, i am beginning to feel a frustration, perhaps similar to csenior's, which is more common when debating right-wingers.

--ravi