[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 26 10:20:15 PDT 2005

> Hi,
>
> Trivia:
>
> My great uncle Frederick Todd was a U.S. commercial attache to
> Cuba. He refused to support the idea of turning the island into a
> single crop sugar export plantation since he realized it would
> destroy the economy. He even wrote about this in 1934:
>
> "Hay que Dar a Cuba Instituciones Propias y Vida Económica
> Independiente" por Frederick Todd
> "It is necessary To give to Cuba Own Institutions and Independent
> Economic Life" by Frederick Todd
>
> Bohemia, May 20, 1934
>
> Guggenheim was sent by the U.S. State Department to deliver the
> ultimatum: agree to making Cuba a U.S. plantation or resign. Being
> a Victorian, he chose the suicide option. His widow told us never
> to go to the Guggenheim art museum because it was built on blood.
>
> Chip Berlet
> http://www.publiceye.org

Chip, you should write an article about your great uncle if you haven't already (preferably for MRZine.org :->). BTW, I found a Web site that posts the cover and TOC of the Bohemia issue in which his article appeared: <http://www.guije.com/public/bohemia/2618/>.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>