[lbo-talk] Facing South: 8/25/05

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 26 10:31:30 PDT 2005

Michael Hoover posted this to LBO-talk:

> FACING SOUTH
> August 25, 2005 - Issue #113
<snip>
> TOYOTA BYPASSES SOUTH, HEADS TO CANADA: In a blow to Southern
> states competing for the plant, Toyota announced it is setting up a
> 1,300-job facility in Ontario, Canada because Canadians are "better
> trained." The company lamented workers in Alabama and Mississippi
> who often needed "pictorials" to teach workers how to use high-tech
> equipment. (CBC News, August 1)
> http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html">http://
> www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html

I clicked on the link about Toyota bypassing the South and heading to Canada, but the page to which the link took me said:

Or, you can:

Go to the homepage now Send your feedback to CBC Audience Relations Click here to view on-air schedules for all CBC services Click here to go to the CBC negotiations site</blockquote>

CBC has locked out its workers: "The CBC locked out its Canadian Media Guild employees last week, and, in doing so, lost its technicians, directors, producers and on-air people" (at <http:// www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050826/ TRUTH26/TPSports/Other>).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>