[lbo-talk] lbo, a den of right-wingers?

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Aug 26 14:28:39 PDT 2005

At 05:02 PM 8/26/2005, Chris Doss wrote:

>--- snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > impossible to pin one dominant ideology to "it"
> > (albeit, agreed that it's
> > american through and through and someone ought to
> > dig out Cat's great post
> > where she very subtly skewered us on that very
> > point. heh)
> >

>Huh?

:) you complain about the bias toward americans on this list all the time.
i guess you can't see it when others do.

It was a criticism, and were you to look up Cat's post, you'd see why. Doug asked her to talk about Australian politics, some local stuff as I recall.

Cat responded. However, as you read it, she was subtly pointing out that, in order to talk about Austrialian politics, the writer had to constantly adjust to the audience, primarily American, and explain who Emma Chissit (;p) is or what a particular office is all about.

This is something a us'er rarely does. We just spout off about JEss Ventura or the Mayor of Oakland or some Senator as if everyone knows who they are, no explanation needed. We are privileged.

An Austrialian or anyone else for that matter, can't assume such privilege. They know that, unless they explain, they'll be asked or the reader won't know and lose interest. Yet, us'ers don't do this and usually can't be bothered.

It was a very funny post because she kept interjecting, increasingly indicating exasperation, with comments like (you _do_ know what google is, don't you?) or (try a search engine).

So, she was pointing out just how much extra work you go to just to convers on this list, simply by virtue of not being from the u.s.

kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin