[lbo-talk] Free Doug Henwood

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 26 15:46:50 PDT 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>As you mentioned in another message, Tom, I also believe that "Cindy
>Sheehan is a catalyst, not The Cause." In this case, though, I
>think that what's interesting about Doug's gossip is not so much
>Sheehan per se as the nature of modern political communication
>(especially political communication in the United States), which
>political consultants and public relations experts dominate, unless
>activists resist it. How we can resist it, however, is far from
>clear. This is not one of those things for which typical political
>mobilizations -- usually organized around Do's and Don't's -- can at
>all become effective. It's one of those things for which we need to
>keep eyes out, while chipping away at it with unorthodox weapons --
>such as gossip and humor.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not opposed in principle to having some expert publicists involved in a political campaign. But what I think is going on in this case is that Fenton is trying to assure that Sheehan maintains a moderate image - though the quotes I've seen from her are quite sharp. (Thus MoveOn, as Rahul Mahajan pointed out over dinner the other night, doesn't include her "Out Now" message in their email blasts.) I don't know if Fenton would pursue it, but professional publicists would have to feel a temptation to frame her as a grieving Mom at the expense of seeing her as a political figure. That would be the way to "broaden" her appeal.

Doug