[lbo-talk] The Collector

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 26 15:51:09 PDT 2005

> "Too much and too long, we seem to have surrendered community
> excellence and community values in the mere accumulation of
> material things. Our gross national product ... if we should judge
> America by that - counts air pollution and cigarette advertising,
> and ambulances to clear our highways of carnage. It counts special
> locks for our doors and the jails for those who break them.
<snip>
> Robert F. Kennedy Address, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas,
> March 18, 1968
> Michael Pugliese

Milton S. Gwirtzman must have been a good speechwriter. Still and all, don't you hate to be lectured by a Kennedy on "the mere accumulation of material things?"

I created an online store <http://www.cafepress.com/montages> where nothing is sold, featuring this remark by Walter Benjamin:

"The collector dreams his way not only into a distant or bygone world but also into a better one -- one in which, to be sure, human beings are no better provided with what they need than in the everyday world, but in which things are freed from the drudgery of being useful." -- Walter Benjamin

If only Michael P. can always (like in this instance) free his collection of quotations from the drudgery of being useful. . . .

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>