[lbo-talk] Free Doug Henwood

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 12:02:49 PDT 2005

On 8/27/05, John Lacny <jlacny at earthlink.net> wrote:

> It helped the public perception of the movement at the time to have Rosa
> Parks portrayed as just a woman who got tired one day and decided not to
> give up her seat.

Last month I attended a demonstration here in Dublin against the ongoing deportations of Nigerian asylum seekers. One of the speakers, a middle-aged Irish union organiser, compared the Nigerian activists to Rosa Parks - who he described as "an elderly lady, tired from spending her whole day scrubbing her master's floors"!

His speech was so passionate, I just didn't have the heart to approach him afterwards and explain his errors ...