[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Aug 28 08:19:55 PDT 2005

Jim, there is no question that the US has worked to increase output per farm worker, but the question is what that means. First, you know a better comparison is the output per direct and indirect worker in ag; that is, the workers making fertilizer, pesticides, tractors .... This measure probably still has the US ranking high, but accurate measures are impossible, so people use monetary costs. Using poor, underpaid immigrants helps to keep costs down. So does cheap fuel.

Even so, the US ranks high in this respect, unless you take into account the externalities -- pollution, food-borne diseases .... as well as the subsidies. If you ever came to Calif., the most productive ag. state, you would see huge water subsidies that make its "productive" ag. posssible.

Sorry, I have to go.