[lbo-talk] This Land vs God Bless

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 09:46:22 PDT 2005

We'll agree to disagree.

You misunderstand Guthrie. He's making a claim for common ownership. This land doesn't belong to the rich, the bamkers, the bosses, it belongs in common to the common people. If that strikes you as "meanly possessive," I have no idea what to say to you. I mean, we are speaking different languages. Since when was the abolition of private property, expresslt called for in the full version of Guthrie's song, "meanly possessive"?

Between the doctrine that the land belongfs to all in common and belongs to no one there is little to pick philosophically, except that the assertion of property rights carries with it rights to use, exclusion, possession of the fuits of the the land, etc -- in Guthrie's case all in common -- that it is hard to make out coherently on the no-ownership theory.

Berlin I don't blame, though I dob't care for the song, but it is a fact that his somng ticked off Guthrie, and later events and misappropriations show he was probably right.

And you do not NOT blamer a guy for a line he _struck_ from a song. maybe he struck it because he didn't think it was right.