[lbo-talk] lbo, a den of right-wingers?

Victor victor at kfar-hanassi.org.il
Sun Aug 28 10:21:26 PDT 2005

Latest information I have is that H. Neanderthal was mostly a meat-man, while the H. sapiens out of Africa that eventually replaced him had a much more diverse diet. This makes a good deal of sense considering that European Neanderthals, like the late Inuit, lived under arctic conditions where meat was more plentiful than edible vegetable matter while sapiens developed in biomes relatively rich in edible plants. The relatively low energy costs and physical risks in plant collection and processing make access to plentiful vegetable foods a positive advantage for the growth and permanency of human settlement, and in fact sapiens settlements were larger and probably were far more complexly organized than those of Neanderthals.

While both Neanderthal and sapiens suffered from the last glacial expansion, the more developed social organization of sapiens probably enabled them to work out much more effective survival techniques than could the sparsely distributed and much smaller communities of Neanderthal.

It is unlikely that early men were ever vegetarians by choice, but its highly likely that the more diversified diet and the physical capacity to digest plant foods would have given sapiens an important "edge"on Neanderthal when it came to adapting to any kind of environment. Victor ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Doss" <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:35 Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] lbo, a den of right-wingers?