[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 11:36:51 PDT 2005

Guest wrote:

>>No technology is perfect, but I'm truly puzzled at
>>this apparent nostalgia for the bad old days of
>>low-tech agriculture.

It's not just the techonology, it's the choice and application of technology, which involves ethical questions, political questions, and social questions. In my original replies I muddled tech with agribusiness. My bad.

But I think a number of people have clarified this point, so I'll stop here. I'm not arguing for the inherent perfection of low tech. I am arguing for a view of agriculture that comprehends the taste/nutritional value of the food, the impact of tech on the environment and on the people who work in the fields, the social organization of the labor, and the utter irrelevance of "profit" in the course of raising the food we need to enjoy life and live it long.

Joanna