[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 28 12:45:22 PDT 2005

> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> >This moral stand is interesting to me because I don't really get it.
> >If inflicting harm on living things is wrong (e.g., beheading a chicken
> >and eating it is cruel), where do you draw the line? Why is eating
> >broccoli okay? Why are the white blood cells in your body engulfing
> >foreign viruses okay? I'm not being facetious, I just don't get the
> >argument: all life involves stuff eating stuff; it's even less avoidable
> >than participating in a capitalist economy!
>
> Yeah. I once met a radical vegetarian who was trying to wean her
> dozen cats from meat. She wasn't having much success. Why would it be
> ok for them, ethically speaking, and not for us?
>
> Doug

I had a co-worker who was trying to do the same thing once with his cats. I managed to talk him out of it when I explained why cats cannot be vegetarians and how harmful it is to their health. If someone truly cared for animals they could never inflict this type of cruel nonsense on a cat. My 13 cats all eat meat and I, and they, are damn glad for it.

The way around Miles dilemma is to go beyond evan being a vegan to become a fruitarian. You never kill any plants but only eat the fruits that the plant creates, in most instances, to be eaten in order to propagate the seeds. I've known only one fruitarian and he was a world class nut, no pun intended.

John Thornton