[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 13:27:08 PDT 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:

>And why is it okay for cats or other animals to eat meat?
>
>Because they don't understand the moral choice not to eat meat.

I don't really think animals have these kinds of "choices" -- I think making a cat eat vegetables or a cow eat meat, probably wouldn't work and would be a form of cruelty in itself.

The case for people is different in that we seem to naturally be able to do both...and therefore have the luxury of "morality." I am not a vegetarian, though I notice I want to eat less and less meat as I get older & I like fish more and more.

One interesting experiment to try vis a vis the meat/vegetable thing is the chewing experiement. The more you chew vegetables, the sweeter they taste in your mouth. The first few chews of meat is quite delicious, but if you keep it up it feels like you're chewing wet cardboard.

Joanna