[lbo-talk] Assassins Plague Basra

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 14:17:35 PDT 2005

On Sunday, August 28, 2005 1:11 PM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Newsday - August 27, 2005
>
> Assassinations, Iranian Connection Spread Fear
> by Timothy M. Phelps
>
> BASRA, Iraq - The professor sat at his computer, insistently pulling
> up pictures of Basra as the gem it was 30 years and four wars ago. He
> seemed fixated on the past, deflecting questions about the present
> and the future.
>
> After much time, he reluctantly turned from the screen to face a
> visitor and the reality of "the awfulness" of what is happening now.
>
> The day before, the body of Jumhour el-Zergany, his university
> mentor, had been found dumped alongside the road. Zergany had been
> tortured, his arms broken, before his tormentors finally put three
> bullets in his head. His crime, the professor said, was that he had
> converted years before from Shia to Sunni Islam and had dared to hire
> religious Sunni professors in the history department that he chaired.
>
> A police van was seen by witnesses to have stopped Zergany's car at
> the time of his disappearance, and police vehicles and sometimes men
> in police uniforms have been involved in others of the hundreds -
> perhaps as many as 1,000 - assassinations in Basra in the past 18
> months.

That's right... They'll drive all the existing "power elite" , including academics out and replace them with the "western political" model of what an Iraqi should be, but only the most current revision will do.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/2005/August/middleeast_August530.xml&section=middleeast&col=

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/10/wirq10.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/08/10/ixworld.html

The money to pay the assassins is measured in dollars, not dinars.

The U.S. IS the pre-emminent purveyor of violence in the world today, why stop short of assassination to get our way?

We never have before.

Travus T. Hipp Commentary [ August 26 2005 ]: Tactical Assassination - It's immoral, illegal and impolite, but Hey! It's cheaper than war...

http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/2005/08/august-26-2005-travus-t-hipp-morning.html Or: http://snipurl.com/tth_050826 [direct audio]

[ Mp3 Audio 64Kbps Mono 2.3mb 5:03min ]

Leigh www.leighm.net