[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 18:43:32 PDT 2005

On Sunday, August 28, 2005 11:38 AM [PDT], Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Instead of GM, could you not also have written:
>
> "For example, it is pointless, even seriously misleading, to discuss
> computer technology except on the premise that computer technology
> decsions are going to be made by companies that are totally
> indifferent to human needs. So an argument that computers could be a
> useful technology is a false argument. Will computers as used in
> current economies be a useful technology? That is the question, and
> really, the only question. If the answer is no, then for the time
> being we need to oppose any use of computer technology."

Sorry, no equivalence. You could recall every computer in the world... by gunpoint if neccesary, and every change in the world that was created by one, but genetic mutation is forever. Period.

Tomatoes colored with red dye developed from Salmon genes anyone?

Yum Yum.

Dead butterflies with your corn flakes, sir?

AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES:

Richard L. Hellmich, Blair D. Siegfried, Mark K. Sears, Diane E. Stanley-Horn, Michael J. Daniels, Heather R. Mattila, Terrence Spencer, Keith G. Bidne, and Leslie C. Lewis

Monarch larvae sensitivity to Bacillus thuringiensis- purified proteins and pollen

PNAS 2001 98: 11925-11930; published online before print as 10.1073/pnas.211297698

...The only transgenic corn pollen that consistently affected monarch larvae was from Cry1Ab event 176 hybrids, currently <2%...

...The toxicity of Bt proteins expressed by transgenic corn to larval stages of butterflies and moths is well known ( , )....

Abstract

Full Text

PDF

Supporting Table

AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES:

Karen S. Oberhauser, Michelle D. Prysby, Heather R. Mattila, Diane E. Stanley-Horn, Mark K. Sears, Galen Dively, Eric Olson, John M. Pleasants, Wai-Ki F. Lam, and Richard L. Hellmich

Temporal and spatial overlap between monarch larvae and corn pollen

PNAS 2001 98: 11913-11918; published online before print as 10.1073/pnas.211234298

...The Bt toxins produced by transgenic corn are lepidopteran-specific and kill only insects that ingest the plant tissue....

...included a field planted in nontransgenic corn (except Maryland and Iowa, where one site contained transgenic corn) and most included a nonagricultural area....

Abstract

Full Text

PDF

AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES:

A. R. Zangerl, D. McKenna, C. L. Wraight, M. Carroll, P. Ficarello, R. Warner, and M. R. Berenbaum

Effects of exposure to event 176 Bacillus thuringiensis corn pollen on monarch and black swallowtail caterpillars under field conditions

PNAS 2001 98: 11908-11912; published online before print as 10.1073/pnas.171315698

...much higher than that of the monarchs and was also independent of proximity to the transgenic corn....

Abstract

Full Text

PDF

More: www.pnas.org