[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:35:36 PDT 2005

> Gar Lipow wrote:
>
> >Interestingly enough Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN
> >supports Michael's argumentson wheat.
>
> How is that different from what I, or the USDA, said?

Well it is different from the USDA because the USDA shows U.S. wheat yield at above the world average, where the FAO shows U.S. production at below the world average. It is different from what you said, because on wheat at least it does seem the U.S. is a slouch. U.S. wheat yield per acre may only be slightly below the world average, but it is at least a third below the average of the developed world as a whole, with a much larger difference from nations with the best yield.

Actually I don't know if we are disagreeing. I don't say U.S. agriculture is unproductive - just that it could be as or more productive without gulping such huge amounts of fossil fuel or using such overwhelming amounts of poison. And that the techniques for doing so are mature, well known, and not more expensive (even in the narrow market sense) than conventional industrial agriculture - that in fact they are a form of industrial agriculture.

I also think it importantt that we not overrate the success of U.S. agriculture. It is highly productive, but NOT the worlds most productive. Certainly not in yield per acre, and I suspect not in yield per person hour either. Many EU nations have higher labor costs than the U.S.; it would be surprising if the high wage EU nations use agricultural labor less efficiently than the U.S. does. Since I provide some statistics on yield per acre,, does someone else want to return the favor with yield per person hour?