[lbo-talk] online poker

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 29 16:56:30 PDT 2005

my dad had his leg amputated last august. whereas he used to hustle people on the greens, invariably winning at least his greens fees (he never belonged to a club because he could just hustle greens fees out of someone), these days he spends his time online, playing online poker.

He'll tell someone about something on our site and, wham! wooosh!, a load of his buddies will visit from all over the world. They liked the news page where I talked about how dad worked for a small town newspaper. he plays with people in India, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Croatia, Azurbaijan, Ireland, Germany, Singapore, you name it.

He said that, the other day, there were 70,000 people online playing some poker tourney.

It is kinda neat -- my dad, who came back from a tour of Italy in the 60s, impressing the ladies with his skillz at ordering Anisette as an after dinner accompaniment to coffee (and was once served by the waitress at The Lido with two anacin tablets, a story he loved to tell!) -- is socializing with all these different people.

It's one neat thing about technology, eh? (He still thinks Martha should be in jail, though)

Even so, does anyone else do this online poker thing? Gambling has got to trail only pr0n as one of the most popular things to do on the 'net, right?

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin