[lbo-talk] RE: Vegetarianism

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 29 19:49:34 PDT 2005

>She tied better treatment of
>animals to better treatment of the mass of human beings, but
>nevertheless saw cruelty to animals as both brutalizing _and_ emerging
>from brutal treatment of human beings

There is a tenuous link here to psychiatry; cruelty to animals is usually flagged as an early marker for psycho/sociopathologies, so arguably if catching those behaviors can lead to early treatment of these psychoses and elimination of violence as a manifested behavior it would make society marginally less cruel and threatening by eliminating the threats of violent, random death from those people (at least).

I recognize the line dividing cruelty to animals, from acceptable rough treatment of animals, to what regularly goes on in factory farms and feedlots, is probably highly arbitrarily.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo