[lbo-talk] lbo, a den of right-wingers?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 07:44:13 PDT 2005

>From: Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com>
>
>``...recent material on this list has been interesting: the wonders of
>... democracy. the shooting of an innocent person by ...."accident"
>... male feelings of impotence as a primary cause of the london
>bombing...'' ravi
>
>``Sometimes, one voice, or set of voices, gets a bit louder making it
>easy to feel the mood has shifted in one direction or another. But,
>this isn't necessarily the case.'' .d.

>IMO, it isn't the list, it's the state of the country, and the state of
>political discourse in general. We've been swamped for years on
>end with the ideological propaganda machine of the Right and it has
>distorted our perceptions, insights, and ability to think ..

Hear, hear. The late blowhard scholar/statesman Daniel Patrick Moynihan was much concerned about "defining deviancy down," citing society's increasing willingness to accept the unacceptable in things like "out-of-wedlock births, drug use of very serious kinds, very poor performance in school [and] school violence." <http://www.pbs.org/fmc/interviews/moynihan.htm> That's a quaint list now that society -- having steeped in right-wing stupidity for the last 30 years -- has learned to accept quite different unacceptable things, ranging from imperial wars overseas to a police state at home.

Carl