[lbo-talk] Standing vs. Sitting

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 30 08:17:43 PDT 2005

ThatRogersWoman wrote:

>But I have to admit, the supervisor demanding toll booth workers
>stand all the time is oppressive. What did he expect? Were the toll
>booth workers supposed to clean windows, rotate the tires and pat the
>car on the trunk on it's way out?

No, we were just suposed to appear at maximum alert to passing drivers, like they cared. Most people ignore a toll collector (which, by the way is a miserable job - boring, smelly, noisy). Believe me, nothing brightens a toll collector's day like a smile and a "thank you" from a passing motorist.

Doug