[lbo-talk] RE: Vegetarianism

ravi lbo at kreise.org
Tue Aug 30 09:01:22 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>> Moreover, on a global scale, vegetarianism for all is unecological.
>> There are many sustainable integrated systems around the world that
>> produce animals and plants for human consumption in which eliminating
>> animals would decrease both sustainability and food output. However,
>> these systems are threatened by "modern" agriculture; they need
>> protection, encouragement, and more research so that they can be
>> adapted to modern conditions (37, 38). Indeed, Coppinger et al (31)
>> argue that the wildlife on the planet that is excluded from our
>> "domestic alliance" with animals may well become extinct. Commenting
>> on the near completion of the transition from hunting and gathering to
>> agriculture, these authors urge that we need to "preserve and enlarge
>> the diversity within the domestic alliance," if we are to preserve the
>> balance of nature. In promoting vegetarianism, they point out, we
>> often forget to notice that we are valuing our own health more than
>> the health of a "diversified ecosystem." It is a diversified ecosystem
>> that will be required for long-term sustainability.

there seems to be a lot of assuming going on here: why does promoting vegetarianism equate valuing our own health? that is true only if vegetarianism is promoted [solely] as a health issue. similar assumptions, rather than logic, buttress the argument: modern agriculture threatens integrated systems. solution: adapt them to modern conditions. am i reading this right to mean that animals exist insofar as they can be included in our "domestic alliance"?

talk about diversified ecosystem to attack vegetarianism seems disingenuous, akin to bushco's justifications for the war on iraq (we want to liberate the iraqi people), even when taken at face value. the planet and a complex ecosystem existing for millions of years before human beings arrived on this planet (5 million years ago?).

i fear we are headed back into that old debate about population and malthus...

--ravi