[lbo-talk] "stay the course" becoming unacceptable

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Aug 30 12:17:47 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [Frank Newport, Gallup ed-in-chief, writes in this week's commentary]
>
> Iraq
>
> What do Americans want Bush to do about Iraq?
>
> We asked Americans last week: "If you could talk with President Bush for
> 15 minutes about the situation in Iraq, what would you, personally,
> advise him to do?"
> Consistent with other polling, a majority of Americans support
> extricating America from Iraq. This broad category of responses includes
> those who would tell the president to pull the troops out and come home
> (by far the dominant response to the question), those who would urge the
> president to come up with and execute a well-thought-out exit strategy,
> and those who would tell Bush to get the Iraqis trained and allow them
> to run their own country. Others would advise the president to keep the
> public better informed, join in and with work with the United Nations,
> admit to past mistakes and apologize, and work with and improve his
> advisers.
> The idea of waiting for democracy to take hold in Iraq seems moot to
> Americans. A majority does not believe it will ever be possible to build
> a stable, democratic government in that country. A "stay-the-course"
> strategy is clearly becoming less acceptable to many Americans.

And the left's anti-war position hews more closely to the fucking do-nothing Democrats.

Jesus fucking christ, if there isn't a more illustrative example of how pathetic the Democrats are, their do-nothing stance on the war pretty much buries any future credibility they may have.

Bring the troops home now and folks, become anarchists.

Chuck