[lbo-talk] $3 gas by next week?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 14:20:09 PDT 2005

I could tell you the story in boring detail. Litigating this stuff is a lot of what I do for a living . There is no "autumn grade" gas that I know of. Under the Clean air Act Amendments of 1990, 41 CO nonattainment zone, including all major metro areas must use highly oxygenated gas in the winter; in the summer, the nine major metro areas with the most severe ozone pollution must use reformulated gas with about quarter less oxygen. I don't believe these are actually more expensive to the consumer at the pump. The oxygenation until recently has been poovided for by some methanol-containing stuff called MTBE (the subject of my litigation) in the east, South, Gulph Coast, and California. In the midwest it is provided by ethanol in the main. MTBE is no more expensive than gasoline when as usual, from what I understand) methaniol in cheap. Ethanol is about twice the cost of MTBE but is subsidized by the government. Environental issues have led California and New York to ban MTBE. Ethanol is more expensive to ship to the coasts, but as I understand it the incresae in gas prices is pretty uniform. I think whatever is going on doesn't go back to the CAAA and the MTBE bans.

Isn't that more than you wanted to know?