[lbo-talk] NOLA link and update

ThatRogersWoman debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 14:47:08 PDT 2005

Can't remember if I posted this link or not, but it's an up to the minute posting of news by one of the (formerly?) local stations in NOLA:

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

The home site of same station: http://www.wwltv.com/

Scattered, quick summation so far: Up to 60k people may be in the SuperDome at this point with a generator about to give. Governor of LA calling for complete evacuation of NOLA and SuperDome; hospitals preparing for same. Martial law in at least three, possibly four parishes. People told in Jefferson parish not to come back for at least a month; schools might be able to start back in two months. Man fell to his death in SuperDome after trying to jump from one level to another; very tense in there. Dome generator about to give out. Hundreds stranded on rooftops; rescue crews won't stop, ignoring the dead as they float by. Widespread looting by the usual suspects but some by people looking for uncontaminated water and some comandeered by National Guard for emergency supplies, e.g., staff from the Ritz allowed to get drugs, medical supplies and emergency rations from a drug store for people holed up in hotel or who were taken there. Fuel leaks in flood waters spawning small cone-like fires in the middle of all the water; some buildings burned to nothing in 10 feet of water. Some parts of city under 20 feet. Break in one levee is 200 feet, Corp of Engineers trying to sandbag it. Other leaks still being identified, but supposedly other levees besides the 2 are ok -- for now. I-10 west reported to now be unusable. I-10 east bridge already broken in at least two places, so major trucking route down for forseeable future. Reports re water in Quarter vary. Amazingingly, the Garden District remains relatively dry and with services. Do not know if that will last.

- Deborah