[lbo-talk] Turning Rural Youth into Soldiers

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Aug 31 12:34:31 PDT 2005

Living and working in the Carolinas just now, I clicked on the link recently posted to a journal published right where I'm working, which confirmed to me what a friend who's from around here said to me about the South and the war. Everyone here has someone in the service or knows someone in the service, or at least - if they're not from here just living here - knows someone who knows someone in the service.

This has to make a huge difference. And if that article is correct, as seems to be the case, and the south is very over-represented in the armed forces, then that can't be just about "surplus population". It has to be about the kind of culture that produces people who want to join up whether they are faced with few other choices or not. Where I come from you could be poor as dirt but still never be the type to join up, and it certainly looks that way here as well.

Oh and I can't get into the whether or not this is really the south or not question. I don't understand the rules by which that judgement is made, but everyone here thinks this is the south so I'm just going to let them make that call.

Catherine

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.