[lbo-talk] Media racism on NOLA "looters"?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 12:43:05 PDT 2005

This was pointed out to me by someone else:

Whites getting food from abandoned stores are portrayed here as simply doing what they must to survive:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/050830071810_shxwaoma_photo1

Blacks, in the meantime, seem to be more often described as looters:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050830/480/ladm10808301717

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050830/ap_on_re_us/katrina_looting_4;_ylt=AgIJqgdPnv9mMvuOIhM144VsaMYA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

-B.