[lbo-talk] hunky vegan falls off the wagon

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 31 13:42:22 PDT 2005

New York Post [Page Six] - August 31, 2005

DOOR

PEOPLE for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), get your paint cans ready. André Benjamin, a k a André 3000 of OutKast, is sporting a hot new look - "a real gray wolf's tail, wagging from a rear belt loop." The outlandish rapper-cum-thespian, currently starring in "Four Brothers" alongside Mark Wahlberg, tells Elle he picked up the piece on a visit to a Canadian Indian reservation. Though the gray wolf is listed as an endangered species in this country, Benjamin is planning to market the furry appendage as the must-have accessory from his upcoming clothing line. "The world doesn't need another clothing company, but it does need a certain funk," Benjamin tells the magazine. The fashion statement is sure to rile up the fine folks at PETA, who named Benjamin its "sexiest male vegetarian" last year. Benjamin blithely dismissed the seeming hypocrisy: "I'm a vegan, but I like to look good too." The publicity hounds at PETA were uncharacteristically mum.