[lbo-talk] Blaming Katrina's victims for not being rich

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Aug 31 14:13:52 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> What is really pissing me off is the definition of the bulk of what was
> on the television as looting. I'll bet those people had no food or it
> was going fast. If they live in an urban area, then they probably don't
> stockpile with their SUV. To me, looting is taking stuff that isn't
> needed: jewles, artwork, whatever, just because you can steal it -- and
> not because you feel you have to steal it. They need it. And if no one
> appears to be able to help them get food and water and diapers -- and
> they don't seem to be able to! -- then, not surprisingly, they are doing
> what they have to do to survive.

Right, like people taking diapers out of a large capitalist grocery store are looters!

I was watching the coverage earlier today and they showed a young black woman responding to the camera about the bags of shoes she had taken from some store. They asked her why she had taken the shoes. She replied that she needed shows because the fucking streets were covered with water. They then asked why she needed multiple pairs, to which she responded that her family back at some hotel needed something to wear too.

Jesus Christ, the news coverage really shows the racist side of America. I even got into an argument with my sister about the looters. She's the fucking Fox News-watching Christian. I'm the heathen anarchist who thinks that it's prefectly OK for poor people to take whatever they want from some capitalist store during a disaster which has devastated their lives and neighborhood.

Living in this fucking country is a trip. Last night, sandwiched between disaster porn and video of looters, Fox "News" had a special interview with the CEO of Wal-Mart who corporation is graciously donating a paltry million dollars to the relief effort. Wal-Mart has over 120 stores in the New Orleans area. Unfortunately, I doubt that all of them were wiped out.

Chuck