[lbo-talk] Blaming Katrina's victims for not being rich

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Aug 31 14:38:52 PDT 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

>I was watching the coverage earlier today and they showed a young black

>woman responding to the camera about the bags of shoes she had taken
>from some store. They asked her why she had taken the shoes.
>She replied that she needed shows because the fucking streets were
>covered with water. They then asked why she needed multiple pairs, to
>which she responded that her family back at some hotel needed something

>to wear too.

What else are they going to do with the stuff? It would all into the trash anyway. I guess a good capitalist morality play requires that goods go into the trash rather than be taken by those in need of them.

It's racism through and through. It's a cautionary tale to the good white folks of America: "See? Give these people half a chance and they'll turn into savages and steal all the disposable diapers they can get their hands on." The coverage of this "looting" is unbelievable. One of the great, historic cities of the U.S. is in danger of disappearing beneath the sea, and everyone is supposed to be outraged because a convenience store is being plundered? Who could possibly give a shit? And is it just me, or has the state response to this disaster been absolutely FUBARed? Man, it's comforting to know that when "The Big One" finally does hit here in California, we won' be able to rely upon any federal assistance worth the name.