[lbo-talk] Blaming Katrina's victims for not being rich

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 31 15:06:42 PDT 2005

> What else are they going to do with the stuff? It would all into the
> trash anyway. I guess a good capitalist morality play requires that
> goods go into the trash rather than be taken by those in need of them.
>
> Doug

No guessing, it's true. If it's given away it is charity and if it's discarded and destroyed it is treated differently come tax time. Better to throw it in the garbage. While at university I worked one year as a shoe salesperson at Montgomery Wards. All the returned shoes that had minor problems such as missing eyelets or a sole coming loose in one spot are to be discarded. Another employee and I spent our own time and money repairing several dozen pairs of shoes. We then donated them to both a homeless shelter and the shelter for battered women. When the store manager found out he went nuts. He actually bought a large press and had a blade attached so we could cut the returned shoes in half before we discarded them. We had to keep a track of them and turn in a monthly log to prove they were destroyed rather than donated. Better they be garbage than a donation as far as capital is concerned.

John Thornton