[lbo-talk] Question re: Religion vs "spirituality"

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Dec 1 08:46:12 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>In sum, pantheism or "spiritualism" (which are really two words referring to
>one thing) is the renunciation of the conventional religiosity based on
>dogma, authority, and certitude without falling into fundamentalism or
>positivistic reductionism.

Well, yes, agreed; and it is very appealing in that way. I chimed in with Carrol because I live in the Bay Area and the behavior of people who call themselves spiritual is a lot closer to his definition.

I had one spiritual person tell me once that the inmates of Dachau deserved their lot because of their Karma. I had another tell me about a spiritual exercise they did one day: they went out, found a homeless person, and gave thema dollar. Then they masticated on that experience for a good long time......so....

Joanna