[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 1 16:42:42 PST 2005

Arash wrote:

> Care to surmise or cite the specific argument Gould makes against this
> point?

It's a long and complex book. It is also a book that anyone who wants to propound on evolution should read or shut up. If you aren't a biologist, you should probably also buy a dictionary of biological terms. (The Oxford Press dictionary is quite reasonable.) The non-biologist should probably plan to give several months to reading it, a few pages a day. The only biology I ever studied was a 10th-grade class in 1944-45, but I've gotten through Gould's book twice & learned quite a bit. I wouldn't pretend, however, to have the mastery of it that would enable me to explain it to someone else. Reading it, even if some parts remain opaque or only superficially grasped still gives one a much deeper sense of what serious evolutionary thought is like and what the major complications are.

Carrol