[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:50:11 PST 2005

C. Miles,

You are mis-stating and misusing Gould. His theries posit an alternative to gradualism, not a substitute for gradualism. Gould acknowledges freely that gradualism does exist and tends to select out traits that negatively effect reproduction. His work only points out that gradualism is probably not adequate to explain evolution and other mechanisms are at work.

No evolutionary biologist would argue that traits which may tend to reduce population fecundity are evolutionarily neutral.

boddi